About

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

DIY Dry Shampoo































Recently I finished my bottle of store-bought dry shampoo. It was a common dry shampoo, in a typical aerosol can, bought from a popular beauty store.

Instead of buying a new one, I decided to make my own.

Inspired by other eco bloggers such as Trash is for tossers, Ela Gale and my friend Anne I decided to take the leap and give making my own products a go.

Why?

Because there are so many unnecessary chemicals in conventional dry shampoos, half of which I can't even pronounce.

Because making my own allows me to really see what ingredients I am putting on my body.

Because natural ingredients are better for the body, earth and mind.

Combining two natural, simple ingredients that I found in my kitchen I made a dry shampoo that not only works great but smells amazing too!

The winning combo: cornflour + cocoa powder.

Cornflour absorbs any excess oils from the hair, it does not stop the natural production of oil that the scalp needs to stay healthy, unlike many store bought dry shampoos which do. I used cocoa powder just to give it a darker colour since my hair is brown.

I combined about two tablespoons cornflour and one tablespoon cocoa powder into a reusable glass jar and I apply it on my hair with a paintbrush. The brush is a bit small but it is the only one I have right now, using a powder brush or any make up brush would work too. My ingredients are not organic as those are the ones I currently have in my pantry and will finish them before switching to organic!

Little fun story: One day I applied some of my home made dry shampoo and then went to play badminton. As my hair swished in my ponytail I could smell chocolate, and realised it was me!

Easy, cheap, natural, and leaves me smelling like cake. I definitely recommend giving it a try!

x





No comments:

Post a Comment